Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hemingway's Home


While in Key West a few weeks ago, I took a tour of Ernest Hemingway's home and studio. Built in 1851 in the Spanish Colonial style, Hemingway and his wife, Pauline, lived here from 1931-1940. They restored and remodeled the home, turning it into the National Historic Landmark that it is today. 

Tours are given now of the home and property and strange as it may sound, my favorite thing in the house was the bathroom. Large, arched windows let in tons of light and highlight the yellow and black color palette. The simple white tub and little wood chair are nice but did you notice the floor tiles?


So. Very. Cool.


The other highlight of the house tour was viewing Hemingway's writing studio. His time in Key West was his most prolific period and it's easy to see why. The space was bright and inviting and filled with items that I would love in my home – that table, those sconces (a different style than I usually gravitate towards but look at those decorative details), and I actually have a rug quite similar to this in my dining room.




Timeless design. And an awesome trunk. It's clear that this trunk has been through a lot

Again, so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...