Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Street art

On a recent trip to NYC, I found this artwork on a sidewalk in Soho.

In a city like New York, there is so much going on that it's important to look all around -- side to side and up and down -- when exploring the town.  I looked down at just the right time and found this.  I don't know the artist, but it looks like it was created with street tar.  Genius.


I was particularly drawn to this because it reminded me of a school project that I did years ago in college -- blind contours.  The idea is that you look at something (for my project, it was a classmate), put your pen on the paper, and then without looking down at all, start drawing.  In my project, part of the assignment was to not lift the pen at all either.  This is what I came up with:


It's a fun little activity that is great for people of all ages and with all skill sets.  No artistic talent needed!  And who knows what you'll come up with -- a cool portrait, a funky landscape, or perhaps a piece of great and unique artwork that you can display in your home.

*****

top image by unknown artist, photo by The Pink Chalkboard
bottom image by Jillian Moskovitz, courtesy of The Pink Chalkboard

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...